Special Olympics South Africa and King David Linksfield will be hosting the very first ever “Polar Plunge” on the African continent on the 27th August 2017.
This annual fundraiser started in the United States has been supported over the years by a number of A- List American celebrities including Lady Gaga, Jimmy Fallon, Vince Vaughn, Dax Shepard, Alec Baldwin, Johnny Knoxville and Bill De Blasio, the Mayor of New York .
For this inaugural event in South Africa a number of local celebrities, sporting legends and CEOs have committed to taking “The Plunge” in support of Special Olympics South Africa athletes and to raise funds for the organization.
Plungers will dive into the frigid waters of the Kind David Linksfield swimming pool.
Amongst those already committed are:
- Dr Mathews Phosa; Chairperson of Special Olympics South Africa
- Garreth “Soldier Boy” Mclellan; former UFC fighter
- Mark Fish, former Leeds United and Bafana Bafana player
- Stacey Holland, Media Personality, Wellness Enthuiast
- Desiree Ellis, former Banyana Banyana captain and current coach
- Melanie ‘HYPRESS’ Ramjee; Publicist and media personality
- Lil Red; performing artist
- Rofhiwa Maemu, ABU Featherweight champion and Gauteng Featherweight champion
- Sibusiso Vilakazi, Bafana Bafana and Sundowns player
- Diamond Thopola, Bafana Bafana and Chipper United player
- Simphiwe Dludlu, former Banyana Banyana player and sports personality
- Mosito Mphaphathi, former South Africa kick boxing champion
- Lerato Pago, Supersport presenter
- Zolani Tete, WBO Bantam Weight champion
- David Rees, 7de Laan actor
- Quinne Brown, 7de Laan actress
Companies interested in participating can raise funds to “Toss the Boss”. A number of CEO’s have already agreed to take “The Plunge”!
Date: 27th August 2017
Venue: King David Linksfield
Time: 10am – 2pm